Learn more about our Health Information Management Program:
Upon completion of this programs, graduates should be able to:
- Apply standards and practices for integrity and accuracy of health data extraction, management, and governance.
- Recognize legal access, disclosure, protection, and security of protected health information.
- Demonstrate management, implementation, use, and maintenance of health data systems; including decision support systems, and enterprise software as well as health data management systems.
- Interpret quality outcomes of health issues using statistical research methodologies, consumer health access methods and availability of the health data exchange.
- Evaluate appropriate revenue cycle and reimbursement methodologies used in a variety of healthcare applications.
- Analyze policies and procedures for compliance with government; federal, state and local regulatory agencies regarding medical coding, insurance regulations, and fraud and abuse.
- Summarize leadership roles and demonstrate ethical concepts and techniques in management decision making, strategic planning and human resource management.
At Lincoln College of New England, classes in Health Information Management focus on teaching career-specific skills necessary for an exciting healthcare career. Coursework include core health information management, general education and additional industry related courses.
A comprehensive curriculum at LCNE covers;
- Anatomy, physiology, and an understanding of the disease process to be able to extract information from medical records as well as determine record completeness;
- Extracting medical diagnosis and procedures from a medical record for public health, medical coding and reimbursement;
- Reimbursement methodology applied by insurance companies and other third party payers;
- Legal and ethical standards in information management of protected health information and the agencies that mandate those standards; Health and Human services, Medicare, Office of the National Coordinator;
- Health records management, with both software and hardware technology specifications used to maintain records;
- Quality improvement in documentation and the translation to safer patient care;
- Awareness of new procedures used in patient care and best practices in medicine and medical documentation.
At LCNE, students are provided with a Professional Practice Experience. Such internships are designed to provide students with opportunities to further develop skills, confidence, poise and other attributes sought by employers. This practical experience will provide further insight into working in the Health Information Management field and the many varied career opportunities in the HIM field.
Interested in learning more about Health Information Management classes? Use the form below to send us an Instant Message or call (800) 825-0087 now to speak to an Admissions Representative!